IRS-certified student volunteers, under the direction of Nelson U. Alino, assistant professor of accounting in the School of Business at Quinnipiac University, will offer free tax preparation assistance to qualified individuals on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., starting Feb. 2 and continuing each Saturday through April 13 in the QU Online Building, 3093 Whitney Avenue, Hamden.
The students will offer free tax preparation assistance to people who generally earn less than $51,000 annually. The student can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they qualify, including Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or Disabled.
Individuals seeking assistance with their taxes should bring:
- Proof of identification – Photo ID
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security number or the provider’s business employer identification number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
The students involved in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistant Program use TAXWISE, the IRS-approved software package for the VITA program for state and federal returns.
For more information, please call Alino at 203-582-3827 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.