We are QUINN’terns – QU in LA

Life in Los Angeles for QU '17 Ian Eckstein is a world of dreams and possibilities, many associated with, "Lights.  Camera.  Action!"

Life in Los Angeles for QU ’17 Ian Eckstein is a world of dreams and possibilities, many associated with, “Lights. Camera. Action!”

Ten Quinnipiac students from various majors have been interning at several different companies in Los Angeles, California, this summer.

Ian Eckstein, a rising senior film major from Livingston, New Jersey, is one of those students interning on the West Coast. Ian is interning with VIMBY—a brand content studio that works with companies such as Wal-Mart, Walgreens and Kleenex to bring meaningful stories to a platform where people typically would not see them. VIMBY, which stands for Video In My Backyard, is located in the Van Nuys region of Los Angeles.

“What I like best about my internship is that I am gaining real work experience,” Ian said. “I work alongside producers and editors to help them achieve the best final product that we can.”

Ian's VIMBY supervisors report he was, "very reliable and always exceeds when doing tasks," calling him, "a very valuable asset to our team."

Ian’s VIMBY supervisors report he was, “very reliable and always exceeds when doing tasks,” calling him, “a very valuable asset to our team.”

Some of his daily responsibilities include working as a production assistant on a shoot for a client or writing video descriptions for the VIMBY website. Ian says his film classes have prepared him for how to act professionally on a video shoot. The coolest thing he has done at his internship was being on set at two different Hollywood restaurants.

“I was a [production assistant], as well as an extra, and I got to eat some of the best food I have ever eaten for free,” Ian said. “That was a pretty awesome day.”

Autumn Liebert is another QUINN’tern spending the summer in Los Angeles. The recently graduated Film, Television and Media Arts major from Millis, Massachusetts, is interning at H2R Productions, a company focused on creating quality unscripted content across a variety of channels. H2R helps passionate people create their ideas.

Autumn's experiential learning mentors describe her as diligent and hard working.

Autumn’s experiential learning mentors describe her as diligent and hard working.

“My favorite part about working for H2R so far has been the amount of influence I have been given during concept meetings,” Autumn said. “I have been given the opportunity to give my feedback and opinions on shows and they often take the ideas and continue to work on them.”

Her daily responsibilities at H2R include editing, reading and organizing network mandates, creating physical props for network pitches, and taking notes during meetings and calls. Autumn says the coolest thing she has been able to do at her internship was film at YouTube Space LA.

“As someone who is an avid YouTube watcher and someone who also has my own channel, it was a great experience to see what that space was like and all the awesome content being created there,” she said.

Interning at H2R has allowed Autumn to learn a great deal about what goes on during the pre-production stage of filmmaking. She believes the new knowledge she has gained from her internship will prepare her for a career in the film industry.

“I like working at H2R because everyone is very relaxed and welcoming,” Autumn said. “It’s a great environment to be in and I’ve been able to learn a lot.”

Jayson Ruboy is interning at Studio71, a multi-platform entertainment company where people come to CREATE in a very flexible and dynamic environment.

Here is the whole QU in LA summer team, with program leader Jameson Cherilus in the center of the row of men.

–reported and written by Ayah Galal, journalism and political science double major, class of ‘18

Categories: School of Communications