I am a QUINN’tern — Rouky Diallo

Rouky reports many a crazy-busy day in the halls of congress!   She experienced and learned from them all via our D.C. partner, The Washington Media Institute.

Rouky reports many a crazy-busy day in the halls of Congress! She experienced and learned from them all via our D.C. partner, The Washington Media Institute.

QUINN’terns spent their summer interning coast to coast, with Rouky Diallo, a rising-senior journalism major, completing her internship in Washington, D.C. Rouky was a press intern for Congressman Tony Cárdenas of California in a United States House of Representatives office building.

“Interning with “Team Cárdenas” has prepared me for my career more than anything because I have a better sense of what I want to do when I graduate,” Rouky, of Brewster, NY, said. “I truly think that if I had not interned for them I’d be going into senior year pretty worried about graduation.”

As a press intern, Rouky’s daily responsibilities included gathering news clips, working on social media graphics, assisting the communications director and more. Interning at a congressional office taught Rouky to expect the unexpected. She said the environment can be “insane” at times and anything could happen at a moment’s notice. Despite being put in some unpredictable situations, Rouky says the courses she has taken at Quinnipiac have “100 percent” prepared her for her internship.

“Every day I had to use the writing skills I’ve picked up in classes like JRN160/260 [Introduction to Media Writing and News Writing and Reporting]. Also because of a class I took with Prof. Amy Walker, I had in-depth knowledge of all the social media platforms especially ones like Periscope,” she said.

It was NOT all work and no play for Rouky and the other office interns here with Representative  Cárdenas at the annual congressional baseball game.

It was NOT all work and no play for Rouky and the other office interns here with Representative Cárdenas (second from right) at the annual congressional baseball game.

These skills, along with her proficiency in applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator, allowed her to create innovative graphics for Congressman Cárdenas’ social media accounts. What Rouky liked most about her internship was the amount of responsibility she was given. She says the communications director gave her tasks that would have a useful end result rather than just busy work.

“I was able to learn so much from her just because she really gave me the freedom to dive in and was always willing to offer guidance,” Rouky said. “I still to this day get excited whenever I see something that I worked on, whether it be a graphic or something written.”

Her supervisor, Esperanza Guevara, was very impressed with the Rouky’s skillset and work ethic.

“Rouky’s sense of humor and social media savvy made her shine as a press intern in our office. She took initiative and demonstrated strong teamwork skills in executing all of her responsibilities,” Guevara, the legislative correspondent for Congressman Cárdenas said. “She also always made time to assist our staff on assignments outside of her responsibilities.”

Rouky says her internship in Washington, D.C. was a valuable experience that allowed her to hone her skill set and make connections.
===== =====
––reported and written by Ayah Galal, journalism and political science double major, class of ‘18

Categories: School of Communications

1 reply »

1. I likt e I am a QUINNtern category, really enjoyed read their stories. It both motivating and stimulating. Worth it to read and followed. Looking forward to the next spotlite.
    Cheers!
    http://telkomuniversity.ac.id